Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pina Colada Layer Cake-Happy Birthday to Me



Today is my birthday, the first day of Spring!  Mother Nature is not cooperating though.  Our weather is cold and snowy.  Where is Spring?  Last year it was 84 degrees on my birthday, and today the high will be 26 with wind chills in the single digits, Yikes.  When I trying to decide what to make for my birthday, my mind automatically went to tropical desserts. I want to close my eyes and pretend I'm on a beach somewhere, sitting in the sand with the warm sun. Don't worry, I have my sunscreen on.  Pina Colada cupcakes or cake would be good, tropical pineapple, coconut, and rum, all in a cake, Yum!


I'm so excited that I finally got a cake stand.  I never had one before.  I got a good deal on this one at TJ Maxx.  I liked the color and the edging. Now, I had  to a make a cake to use my new cake stand, and it would be Pina Colada layer cake.  Now, I don't make layer cakes too often, but this Pina Colada turned out pretty well.  I used parchment paper in the cake pans, so I didn't have to use flour. Also, I used strips of waxed paper on the cake stand, when I was frosting the cake.  These are basic things, that I had never done, till now. I need lessons from Monet, and her Cake Stand.


This Pina Colada layer cake is a very moist yellow cake with coconut milk and a little dark rum.  The baked layers are brushed with a pineapple juice rum mixture.  Then you make a Buttercream Frosting with coconut milk and more rum.  Some of the frosting is mixed with crushed, drained pineapple and spread on the bottom layer, sprinkled with coconut. The layers are put together, and frosted with the remaining Rum Butter Cream Frosting, and sprinkled with toasted coconut.  Even though it sounds like the cake has a lot of rum, it isn't overpowering.  The same goes for the coconut milk.  There is just enough coconut flavor. This cake is amazing, even if I say so myself. One bite of this cake, and you will be in the tropics, just where I want to be today!  This cake would be a perfect addition to your Easter Menu.



Pina Colada Cake

Adapted from Food Net work   

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup butter, unsalted
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon coconut extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup coconut milk

Glaze:

·      1/4 cup pineapple juice from crushed drained pineapple reserve pineapple

·      2 Tbsp dark rum

Frosting:

  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  •  2 Tbsp coconut milk. more or less
  • 1 2 tbsp Dark rum
  • 1/2 cup drained, crushed pineapple juice (14 oz can)
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup flaked toasted coconut***

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. In an electric mixer or using a hand beater, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add coconut extract and eggs 1 at a time. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and powder. To mixer add coconut milk and flour to creamed mixture alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 25 to 28 minutes. Allow cake to cool 10 minutes then remove the cakes onto rack(s) and allow to cool completely.


For Glaze: In a medium bowl, combine pineapple juice and rum.  Brush over cooled layers.


 For Frosting: In an electric mixer or using a hand mixer beat together the butter, until well blended and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar gradually at low speed. Beat in coconut milk and dark rum. Remove 3/4 cup frosting.


Stir reserved pineapple into reserved frosting.  Spread between the layers, and sprinkle with one cup of coconut.


Frost cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle top with toasted coconut.

***Toasted Coconut- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.  Place coconut on a cookie sheet lined with foil.  Bake 7-10 minutes, stirring every 2 min.  Watch carefully! Coconut burns easily.  Remove from oven and cool on rack.

.

I linked up my recipe to Brandie@The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck #59
 Stop by and say Hi to Brandie! 


   

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely looking cake my friend, perfect to celebrate a day for you - HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uru,
      this is a wonderful birthday cake. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, this weather stinks, doesn't it? And I'm sure you're even colder than we are! Happy, happy birthday my friend...you definitely deserve the lovely new cake stand :) And this looks like one fantastic cake...I'd love to try it. Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy,
      You bet this weather stinks and now today more snow, Yikes. Have a piece of this cake, and you won't be thinking about the weather for awhile:) Thanks for pinning:)

      Delete
  3. Oh Becky! Sorry I was away and missed your brithday post!

    Happy belated birthday wishes, dear! Warmest wishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeja,
      Thank you for your birthday wishes. Please have a piece of my birthday Cake!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! You really went all out here. I'm closing my eyes and can smell the warm tropical breeze. I hope this cake made your birthday all that more special.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more about the weather. But your cake is lovely and fitting for such a special occasion. Happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated Birthday Becky! What a great treat -- now I want it for my birthday next month. Too bad the weather isn't cooperating. Thank you for being a part of the YBR this month:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much sugar in the batter please? You mention it in the instructions, but there isn't a quantity indicated. Looking forward to making this! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Print friendly