Friday, March 15, 2013

Corned Beef and Cabbage for St. Patty's Day




We always make a Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner around St. Patrick's Day, so we made one yesterday. I was able to find low sodium corned beef this year. We put the corned beef in a pot on the stove and simmered until tender We love carrots, so we put in a whole bag of carrots, red potatoes "B "size, and a small head of cabbage . This is Scott's plate, he likes cabbage, me not so much.





 Now, for the mystery, What is in this glass?  It's green and has bubbles. You don't have to necessarily drink it for St Patrick's Day, because it is green all of the time. You can buy this, it isn't something that you make. You might be showing your age if, you know what this is.  Give up?


 Green River soda!!! I'm probably showing my age, but I can remember going to the corner drugstore, sitting at the soda fountain, and ordering a Green River. I could have ordered a Vanilla Coke, a Chocolate Coke, a Cherry Coke, or if you were really brave, you get a Suicide Coke.  A suicide coke was a mixture of all the flavors of Coke. For those of you who don't know about Green River soda, it’s even on Wikipedia!  What would we go without Google and Wikipedia?  According to Wikipedia, Green River Soda was first manufactured in 1919 by a brewery in Chicago, as a non-alcholic Prohibition drink.  Once Prohibition ended, Green River fell out of favor. It was later a soda  fountain drink in the 60's.  Maybe your parents had Green River Soda? It is now manufactured in Chicago. The bottle is now plastic, and they even have a Diet version. It's a very limey drink, no wonder I like it.  If you can find it in your area, try it!  You might like it!


Back to the recipe:
Corned Beef and Cabbage
1 3 lb Corned Beef Brisket, preferably flat, cut spice packet was included
4 clove of garlic, smashed
1 med onion quartered
2 bay leaves
1 lb of whole carrots cut in chunks
1 lb of red potatoes, 'B" size
1 small head of cabbage, quartered
Place brisket in a pot with garlic, onion, bay leaves and content of spice packet.  Cover with water, bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer.  wait 5 min, and skim off foam. Continue simmering, until meat begins to get tender.  Add carrots and potatoes.  Continue simmering for 15 min, and then add cabbage.  Cook until cabbage is tender, approximately 15 min.  .
Slice meat and serve with vegetables.  Slainte!

I also linked up this recipe to Katherine Martinelli's St. Patrick's Day Blog Hop

I linked up my recipe to Brandie@The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck #58
 Stop by and say Hi to Brandie! 


   

6 comments:

  1. The green soda drink looks quite funny, don't remember seeing such green color in a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This drink was very popular in the 50, 60's, and 70's, which was probably well before your time, it's an oldie but a goodie:)

      Delete
  2. So glad you posted this!! My husband loves corned beef and I picked one up yesterday but had NO idea what to do with it. Now I remember the carrots and potatoes my mom used to put in. I don't know why I didn't just call and ask her! Yours looks very much like hers, but I think I'll skip the cabbage...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Scott loves the cabbage, and me not so much! We love carrots, and put in a whole pound. It's a one pot meal. Hope that you like yours. You can also cook the corned beef in a slow cooker. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I love, love corned beef...now if only Bill did!!! He needs to go out of town so I can try your scrumptious recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the things that sounds very exotic to me :D I have never tried corned beef :D

    ReplyDelete

Print friendly