Monday, February 18, 2013

Turkey Bolognese with Vegetables, and Gluten-Free Pasta


I can't believe that I haven't seen any mention of the Gluten free pasta from Trader Joe's on the blogosphere.  I saw the GF free pata, which is made from corn, on my last trip to TJ's.  At first I was a little leary of the taste and texture, but I asked one of the crew members about it, and she said that "it was pretty good."  That was good enough for me, so I bought a bag,  I was anxious to make the pasta, to try it out.  I have been trying to eat gluten free foods, whenever I can to see if gluten is part of my tummy troubles.


You can see that the GF  pasta has a golden yellow color from the corn. When you cook it the water turns a little yellow, also.  However, the only ingredients listed on the bag are corn flour and water.  No gluten ingredients were used, and this is printed on the bag. How does it taste?  This pasta  tastes so good, and it doesn't taste like corn at all. The texture is just like wheat pasta.  I cooked mine about 8 minutes, al dente, it's wonderful and holds the sauce well.   As you can see, my bag is almost empty, and I'll be buying another one on my next trip to Trader Joe's.


The sauce I made was a Turkey Bolognese, with  vegetables, and changed it up a bit by adding diced carrots, celery, onion, and mushrooms. this sauce is GF, low fat, and low sodium, but so full of flavor. The sauce was a perfect complement to the GF pasta. If you are trying to eat GF, I would try this pasta, if you are near a TJ's.  I have never had any other GF pasta, so I don't know how it stacks up against them.  I just know that I like this GF pasta. If you try this pasta, let me know, how you like it.  Enjoy! 

Turkey Bolognese with  Vegetables and Gluten-Free Pasta
  

Ingredients:

  • 1  pounds lean ground turkey  
  • 2 Tbsp or so, olive oil
  • 2 medium carrots, finely diced We like carrots
  • 1 onion, grated or finely chopped
  • 2 ribs of celery, finely chopped
  • 1/2 lb. mushrooms sliced, We used Baby Cremini
  • 2 cloves garlic, grated
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
  • 1 bay leaf, fresh or dry
  • 1 cup chicken stock, regular or low sodium stock
  • 1 can crushed or diced tomatoes (28 ounces each), regular or low sodium
  • 1 pound Trader Joe’s GF pasta,  whole wheat, or multi-grain spaghetti
  • 1/2-1 cup low fat Parmesan cheese


Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.

Pre-heat a large Dutch oven or deep pot over medium-high heat with about 2Tbsp olive oil, 1-2 turns of the pan. Add in onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and garlic. Saute over medium heat until the vegetables are translucent, not browned.  Add in the turkey and, using the back of a wooden spoon, break up the meat into small pieces. Cook 5-6 minutes to start the browning process, Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoningAdd bay leaf and cook five minutes more; then stir in the stock and the tomatoes. Bring up to a bubble, then drop the heat to low and simmer while you cook another 5-6 minutes more.

Salt water and cook pasta to al dente, with a bite, about. 8-9 min. Reserve about 1/2 cup of cooking liquid, and mix back into your sauce, to keep pasta from getting sticky... Serve pasta in shallow bowls with an extra ladle of sauce on top. Sprinkle with low fat Parmesan cheese.


I received no compensation or product from Trader Joe's to write this post.  The opinions expressed here are of the the author.

l linked up my recipe to Brandie@The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck #53
 Stop by and say Hi to Brandie! 
 


 
 

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever even heard about corn pasta! Does it taste very different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeja,
      No, the corn pasta doesn't taste any different than flour pasta. It does have a more golden color, but to me the taste is the same.

      Delete
  2. I like the corn pasta idea my friend, beautifully presented :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uru,
      Thank you for your kind words and support of my blog! It means a lot to me.

      Delete
  3. Gluten free pasta is really great. I loved this recipe. This sounds fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purabi,
      This pasta is so good. Even my Hubby liked it, and he's picky about pasta.

      Delete

Print friendly