Thursday, January 10, 2013

Applesauce Oatmeal Streusel Muffins



Baking is my passion. I like to cook, but I I love to bake, and I started baking as a young girl.  Besides being "therapy" for me, I get instant gratification from the people who eat my baked goods. Over the years I have baked countless muffins, cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. for other people to enjoy.  I made these muffins for my Friend, Coleen, and her Mom, who is having Hospice at home, which started last week.


Coleen had told me that her Mom liked warm milk poured over her muffins.  I chose these Applesauce Oatmeal Streusel Muffins because they would be easy to eat, and taste so good with warm milk. As it turned out, her Mom ate two little bites without the warm milk, because the muffins were so moist, which made me happy.

 Besides having applesauce and oatmeal in them,  I subbed coconut oil for the oil in the recipe. The only spice in these muffins are my beloved cinnamon.  These muffins taste like my morning Cinnamon Oatmeal with Apples, using rolled oats that I make every morning, so good. It's only one minute 30 seconds in the microwave, no pacakged oatmeal for me. Even when I was working, I made my oatmeal at home, and warmed it up, when I got to work. Now, I have to make another batch of these healthy muffins for Scott and I.  Enjoy





Topping:
  • 1/4  cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1  tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1  tablespoon margarine or butter, melted I used coconut oil
  • 1/8  teaspoon ground cinnamon
Muffins:
  • 1-1/2  cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1-1/4  cups all-purpose flour
  • 1  teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4  teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4  teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1  cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2  cup fat-free milk
  • 1/2  cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3  tablespoons vegetable oil  I used coconut oil
  • 1  egg white, lightly beaten
Directions:
Heat oven to 400°F. Line twelve medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with cooking spray.

For topping, combine the first four ingredients — oats, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon — in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.


For muffins, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in large bowl; mix well. In medium bowl, combine applesauce, milk, sugar, oil and egg white; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)

Fill muffin cups almost full. Sprinkle with reserved topping, patting gently. ( I only got 11 muffins.)

Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.

l linked up my recipe to Brandie@The Country Cook's Weekend Potluck #49
 Stop by and say Hi to Brandie!









21 comments:

  1. Great recipe for a low-fat muffin! I like your plate and cute cup too, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,
      this is a great recipe, and making more for the weekend. I have a whole set of Snowman dishes. Those are the only snowmen, that we'll see for awhile, with no snow:)

      Delete
  2. these are great for people who are always running late to work (me!). might try them this weekend - thanks! best part is, i have everything in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna,
      You and your boys will love these muffins. They are so moist and cinnamony!
      thank you for visiting my blog. Hope to see you back soon.

      Delete
  3. Oooh these muffins look healthy and absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayle,
      You would love these muffins, especially warm out of the oven:)

      Delete
  4. mmmm these sound sooo good! I will definitely have to try, thanks for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to share this yummy recipe. these muffins are so good, moist and full of cinnamon flavor.

      Delete
  5. Healthy but delicious and perfect for brekkie :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uru,
      These are like eating a bowl of oatmeal in a muffin!

      Delete
  6. I agree with you about baking being a therapy :) I feel the same about it :)

    And it will never be too many myffin recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medeja,
      I agree with you that you can never have too many muffin recipes, especially this one.

      Delete
  7. Oh, how delicious!!! I just posted an applesauce oatmeal cake! Now I have to try these too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,
      I'm going to check out your cake now!

      Delete
  8. Happy to find you this morning through Weekend Potluck! Love to find other healthy blogs and food. Would love for you to share on Thursdays Treasures http://fooddonelight.com/thursdays-treasures-week-68/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie,
      Nice to meet you! I love the Weekend Potluck. I'd be happy to join your Linky party. hope to see you again.

      Delete
  9. I can never get enough muffins! These sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn,
      You are right, You can never have enough muffin recipes, and this one is a keeper.

      Delete
  10. Morning my dear Becky. I was thinking about you, when I was baking the other day. You are so right, baking is such a great therapy. I'm so glad she was able to enjoy a bit of the muffins. Can't wait to see the lemon and blueberry scones. Whoops, was that a secret, lol? Happy Sunday, hope you get some relaxing in.
    Hugs,
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina,
      Lemon and Blueberry scones are not a secret:) to be posted later this week. I did spend a mostly quiet Sunday watching football. Hope that you got to rest as well.

      Delete
  11. I also love to bake (as you well know) and these muffins look like the perfect gift for a friend. I would probably make two batches, just so I could keep some at home. Thank you for sharing with me! I hope you have a good start to your week. Stay happy and warm!

    ReplyDelete

Print friendly