Friday, July 22, 2011

Raspberry Buckle and a Trip to the Farm with Guest Blogger, Kim@The Farmer's Wife

Hi Everybody! I want to introduce you to my guest Blogger.  I'm busy getting ready for the shower which is tomorrow, so Kim, from the Farmer's Wife, graciously accepted my invitation for Guest Blogger. Kim is a stay at home Mom with  her hubby, and Little Sous Chef, who,have a farm in the Southwest. Kim likes all things green, especially tractors;)  She  is one of my blogging friends that never fails to offer support, encouragement and friendship. Thank you, Kim.  Her recipes are family friendly and down home good, and her little Sous Chef is her toughest critic.  And now here is Kim..
Hey y'all! I'm absolutely thrilled to cook with you today! First things first, let me introduce myself. I'm Kimberly aka The Farmers Wife. I'm a coffeeholic, stay at home Mom and Wife, and yes I am actually married to a Farmer. Being a Farmers Wife makes life all the more interesting, but I love every moment of it. I've never had better produce to cook with in my life, and my Hubby is a wonderful inspiration for me. My little Sous Chef (my son) is also a big part of my life and blog. He is definitely my most challenging little future foodie, he is constantly coming up with ideas for treats he thinks sound good, and he says he "Wants to cook like Mommy someday!". When I first started The Farmers Wife, a couple of years ago, it was because I love to cook, and inventing my own recipes even more, but I was always forgetting to write them down. What started as a hobby, and a resource for myself and family, then turned into something SO much more! I enjoy my "Job" so much, and I love sharing all these goodies with all my friends.

Before I get started on the recipe, I want to say a huge thank you to Becky for giving me this opportunity to guest post on her site! I have enjoyed getting to know Becky over the last few months, and she is just the sweetest thing ever. So when she asked me to guest post for her today I was beyond thrilled!

Now it's no secret we love breakfast foods, It is my go to meal idea when I'm tired and don't want to stand at the stove for hours, breakfast can usually be thrown together fairly easily. Now I wish I could say this recipe was born out of something spectacular, but it wasn't. I had purchased these raspberry's for no good reason. haha! They looked so good, and I wanted them, total impulse buy. I can't even tell you all the ideas that ran through my head trying to decide what to so with these delicious berry's, seriously I was on berry overload. Then it came to me, I love blueberry buckle (for those who don't know it's a coffee cake) but why can't I use a different berry?!? So... I did! And we just loved this. It was so moist, and a perfect blend of sweet and tart. My little sous chef adored it, which is always a good thing. And the Farming Hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed having the leftovers for breakfast the following day. It reheats beautifully in the microwave in just 20 seconds, and that always makes me a happy girl.
Raspberry Buckle

Ingredients:
2 cup All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
Pinch of Cloves
1/2 cup Shortening
3/4 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 cups fresh or frozen Raspberries (can also be made with blueberries, or blackberries)

Topping:
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup Butter or Margarine

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350F degrees, and grease a 9x9x2 or 8x8x2 in. square pan, set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices; set aside. In your mixer, beat the shortening on medium speed for 30 seconds, then add in the sugar. Beat on medium to high speed until fluffy. Add in the egg, and beat well. Add in the flour mixture and buttermilk in increments, alternating them until fully incorporated. Pour the batter into your greased baking dish, and spread evenly. Sprinkle your berries on top of the batter. In a medium bowl, mix your topping mixture and using a pastry blender or a fork, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle that on top of the berries, and bake for 50-60 minutes, or til golden. Serve warm.

Review:
I always do a review at the end of my recipes as to whether or not I will make this again. This is a simple, yet impressive coffee cake, one that is versatile to your tastes in berries, or to whatever you can find easily in your local store. We really enjoyed this for both dinner and breakfast the next morning, and the raspberries had a great sweetness to them from the topping. 4 stars.


Did you enjoy your trip to the farm?  Thank you so much Kim. for sharing this fabulous breakfast treat.  Hop on over to Kim's blog and tell her that Becky sent you. I have never made a "buckle" before, but I have made plenty of fruit crisps. I'll be making this buckle after the shower, and when it cools off. 
You can find Kim @The Farmer's Wife, Facebook, and Twitter.
Thanks Kim for being my Guest Blogger!!!
Have a great weekend!











7 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me Becky!! I'm so honored to be your Guest Poster this week! Have a fabulous shower tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great guest post!! And a gorgeous recipe. Love both you girls!! Nice to see you two team up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,
    thanks so much for being my Guest Blogger! i certainly appreciate it.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM, YUM, YUM! I've made a blueberry buckle, but think this one would be even more delicious! I love both your blogs...fabulous guest post, Becky! And thanks for sharing another yummy recipe, Kim :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kim for the awesome guest post.... I am drooling... that buckle looks awesome! And Hi Becky! I hope you are well! hugs from Wisconsin! - megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! What a great guest post! I just made blueberry buckle, and when I get some raspberries I am going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill-Kim did a great job with her raspberry buckle.

    ReplyDelete

Print friendly