Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bailey's and Coffee Brownie Cupcakes

Bailey's and Coffee is my favorite after dinner drink.   I love the the smoothness of the Bailey's in a hot steaming cup of coffee, there's nothing better.  So when I wanted to make cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day, there was no question,  I wanted Bailey's in the cupcake. I've been missing my cupcakes lately.  Remember my friend, Stef, from Cupcake Project?  She had made cupcakes with Irish coffee, but I much prefer Bailey's. After all, Bailey The Wonder Dog is named for the Irish cream liqueur, because of her cream and caramel coloring. You can check Stef's Irish Coffee Brownie Cupcakes. I did adapt my cupcakes from Stef's recipe.

There is a surprise on the bottom, a brownie.  You make a separate brownie batter and put in on top of the Bailey's and Cream batter.  My brownie batter fell to the bottom, because it was heavier, but these cupcakes are so light and moist, and there's the chocolaty brownie on the bottom. Amazing! . There is is also a distinct coffee flavor, because you infuse the milk for the cupcake batter with roasted coffee beans. You put the coffee beans and the milk in the pan, bring just to boiling, turn off the heat and let the mixture sit for 15 min.  Then, you strain the milk out, and set aside.  For all of you coffee lovers,  this pure heaven. Then to top of these wonderful cupcakes,  you make Bailey's and Coffee Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting.  Have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!  Just remember, everybody is Irish on St. Pat's Day!

Bailey's and Coffee Brownie Cupcakes  Adapted from Cupcake Project

Yield: 16 cupcakes

Brownie Ingredients::
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, mix in egg and vanilla until well combined Mix in Cocoa powder, flour, and salt until combined. Set aside.

Cupcake Ingredients:
1 c whole milk- I used 2%
1 c whole roasted coffee beans
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 c unsalted butter, room temp
1 1/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c Bailey's Irish Cream
Brownie Batter form above

Directions:

In a small saucepan on medium high, heat milk and coffee beans, until just boiling.
Remove from heat, cover, and steep for 15 min.
Strain out milk from beans.  Put in small bowl and set aside.  You only need 3/4 c of milk, so some of the milk might stick to the beans in the process, and that's OK.

Pre heat oven to 350 F

In a medium sized bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a separate mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
Add eggs to butter sugar mixture, and beat until well combined.
In a small bowl, mix the Bailey's and 3/4 c of the coffee infused milk.
Alternately mix the  wet and dry ingredients, into the butter sugar mixture, beating until just combined.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full with cupcake batter.
Spoon 1 heaping tbsp of brownie batter in center of each cupcake.

Bake 25 min, or until pick inserted in center, comes out clean.  Cool on rack.


Bailey's and Coffee Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting
1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
3 C powdered sugar
3/4 c  unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp Bailey's Irish Cream
1 Tbsp strong coffee

Directions:
In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter.
Gradually beat in powdered sugar, a little bit at a time, until well incorporated
Mix in cocoa powder, Bailey's and coffee gradually, until desired consistency.

Frost or pipe on cooled cupcakes.  Slainte!


22 comments:

  1. Beautiful work...I could dive right in. I'm right there with you Becky, Baileys and coffee does the trick after an evening meal - especially when the air is a bit nippy outside. So to put those flavors in a buttercream frosting makes me want to dash to the kitchen, whip up a batch just so I can lick the beaters. Blarney, I guess I'm still a kid at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowky what a complex combination of flavors and textures! great job!!! Your cupcakes look so delicious and beautiful, great photos! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooks, Go ahead, jump in and enjoy!

    Mateja- Thank you for you comments. I certainly appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those look soooo insanely good. I love the brownie on the bottom! Bailey's is one of my favorites and I just love it in desserts. :) I have to try that buttercream recipe, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow,
    ill take 2 of these with a tall glass of milk !! ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, please! I love Bailey's in coffee...and in a cupcake form? Even better...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindsey-I know that you love Bailey's. Thank you for your comments.

    Stephanie- Thank you for your comments/

    Wendy- Yes, Bailey's and coffee is very good in a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm not a coffee drinker but i'd dive right into a couple of these cupcakes. they sound sinfully good. the Bailey buttercream, oh my, sorry, had to wipe my chin from all that drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous cup cakes, your icing looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roxanna- Thank you for your comments.

    Umm Mymoonah- Thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just saying how much I love Bailey's Irish cream. I just love the stuff. And putting it in baked goods - even better! Love the brownie on the bottom. That just takes it to a whole other level!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coffee and Irish Cream!!! I love you. :) I'm also a new follower. Cheers, Becky, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ~ Cleo Coyle
    author of the Coffeehouse Mysteries
    Coffeehouse Mystery.com
    Cleo Coyle on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brandie- Another lover of Bailey's. Thanks, Brandie!

    Cleo- thank you for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Becky!! Wow!! What a treat these little guys could be. My dad had a bailey's and coffee drink one time when I was little and I didn't know that it wasn't straight coffee, imagine my surprise when I had a swig!
    Is that where you dog's name came from??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kim- Yes we named her Bailey, because her fur is the color of "Bailey's Irish Cream", white with caramel color running through it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becky, these look amazing! Not only coffee and baileys but with a surprise brownie underneath like that I need one NOW! Pass a few over, pleeease!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jill,
    I'll be more than happy to pass you a few cupcakes, if you will send me some macrons, please!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Becky, these cupcakes look insanely good. I love the brownie surprise on the bottom of the cupcake and the frosting sounds good enough to eat by the spoonful! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely clicks Becky! the cakes look super delicious and moist :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Becky

    those cupcakes are calling to me!! I love that little bit of brownie in the bottom, I could definitely eat a few of those babies!!
    I have to say your images are really looking good, not only is the image quality better but your styling is looking really good too!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look great! Love the idea of a brownie crust for additional flavor and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These looks amazing! I love Irish cream!

    ReplyDelete

Print friendly